Your content marketing is a key component of your overall marketing strategy – one of the most...
Why Content Marketing Works, and How to Make It Work for You
We’ve all heard the phrase “content is king” too many times to count, and that’s because it’s true. Original, high-quality content has the power to make your brand stand out. Good content is an essential part of an effective marketing strategy for any business and can make a huge difference in a company’s overall success. The term “content marketing” refers to creating and distributing relevant, valuable content to attract and engage a specific audience. It’s affordable and effective, and it’s an important way to grow your business. Why does it work so well, and how can it work for you?
Content marketing is different from traditional marketing in that it is not focused on direct selling. Instead, its purpose is to deliver helpful and entertaining information to your customers and prospects. Content marketing does not force a pushy sales message; it is a way to get to know and develop personal relationships with your audience. As people consume your content, they build trust in your brand. Consider sharing the following in your content:
- A behind-the-scenes look at your business. People love seeing what’s going on behind the curtain. You could feature something unique or funny about your company culture, introduce your team members, or make a video of one of your employees doing a fun live interview to give viewers a chance to ask questions or share ideas.
- A request for advice. If you aren’t sure what your audience would like to know – about your brand or anything else – ask them. Asking for their input is one of the best ways to engage with your audience. It makes them feel more involved and appreciated. You could even ask them for ideas for new products or services.
- A healthy dose of fun. Social media offers a unique opportunity to showcase your business’s human side. Make at least some of your blogs and social media posts fun and engaging, using humor, images, memes, or even funny videos to show your company’s lighter side. Keep your content positive; most businesses will want to steer clear of polarizing topics such as religion and politics.
Now that you have some ideas about how to get your message out there, you need to get your followers involved. Keep your fans included in your content strategy to help them feel valued. You can do this by:
- Offering solutions to common problems. Pay attention to the problems your followers complain about and the questions they ask, then give them answers. How-to articles are a great starting point.
- Crowdsourcing your content. Are you stuck trying to come up with ideas for your content? Ask your audience for inspiration. You’ll increase engagement by showing that you appreciate their input.
- Highlighting a customer. Consider doing a “customer of the month” piece including a picture of a real customer using your product (with their permission). This builds credibility and shows your fans a bit more of your brand’s personal side.
These tips can help you secure more leads as your followers engage with your content and share it with their contacts. This is why content marketing works as well as it does: the potential for growth is huge, and when you do it right, you’ll have customers coming to you instead of the other way around.